Download AOSP 11 For Redmi Note 8: Most of us have got tired of waiting for Android 11 to roll out. While Android 11 was supposed to release a month ago but, Google’s annual developer conference got canceled due to the whole coronavirus global pandemic. Recently, Google rolled out Android 11 after months of beta testing, and other manufacturers like OnePlus, Xiaomi, Oppo, and Realme also got the update but as we know some manufacturers take a lot of time to release the updates for their line up of devices.
Android 11 is finally here, after being announced back in February 2020. So the question is what’s new about this Android version? They dropped the idea of Alphabetically releasing names of major Android updates based on desserts but that not all. Android 11 brings some exciting features like a built-in screen recorder, New conversations tab, Smart home and media controls, Improved accessibility, Improved prediction tools, improved security and privacy, and a lot of other features as well.
Google rolled out the stable Android 11 update to a handful of devices and uploaded the source code for the release to AOSP. Here is a list of all the devices that are currently compatible with Android 11:
- The Google Pixel 2 / 2 XL
- Pixel 3 / 3 XL
- The Google Pixel 3a / 3a XL
- Pixel 4 / 4 XL
- Google Pixel 4a
- Xiaomi Mi 10 / Mi 10 Pro
Some More Facts about Android 11
Some developers believe that Google’s Android 11 Generic System Images (GSIs) can boot on most devices which are powered by a Snapdragon chipset and were launched with Android 9.0 or 10.0 out of the box, the condition applies that the manufacturer made a few changes for compatibility.
But what about Android 11 custom ROMs? You’ll think about how can we get a custom ROM so fast. Looking at the records, it takes months to release a stable custom ROM for a new Android update. All we have to do is wait for big names like Pixel experience, AOSP extended, Resurrection Remix, and more to release Android 11 based custom ROMs. But an independent developer has successfully built a pure Android 11 ROM within a few days of the official release of Android 11.
How to Download AOSP 11 For Redmi Note 8
This First Android 11-based AOSP ROM is available for Redmi Note 8. The ROM is completely functional with all basic features like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, camera (photo and video), audio, sensors, LED, GNSS, and most importantly, RIL (for Calls, SMS, Data and VoLTE) are working. The only known issue as of right now is is that SELinux is set to permissive, which has serious security implications. This build is not recommended for daily use as it is not so stable plus there is a constant security threat.
Though the build is not recommended for daily use, some of the Android fanboys out there still want to try Android 11 so here is a quick guide on how to install First Android 11-based AOSP ROM on your Redmi Note 8 but before you can start with any of the fancy stuff here are some prerequisites:
- Your device must be 70% or 80% charged.
- All your data will get wiped in the process. So, create a full backup of your device.
- Make sure you have an unlocked bootloader.
- Download the AOSP Android 11 ROM and GApps Package Zip File.
- Make sure your device has an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed.
- Your device should have a custom recovery installed, preferably TWRP.
- Download the AOSP 11 For Redmi Note 8
- NikGApps | BiTGApps Gapps Redmi Note 8
How to Install AOSP 11 For Redmi Note 8
First of all, you have to unlock the bootloader of your device. If you don’t know how to do it, then we have a guide for you guys. You can follow the guide on How to unlock the bootloader of Redmi Note 8 [Same for all Xiaomi Devices].
You cannot proceed to follow this guide if your bootloader is locked. If you do so then it will end up with the unexpected results if you try to install this firmware on your android device without unlocking its bootloader.
Now you have to install the latest TWRP on your device if you haven’t till yet and don’t know how to do it, follow this guide on How to download and install the latest TWRP on Redmi Note 8.
Steps to install AOSP 11 For Redmi Note 8
Having an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed on your device is essential as Xiaomi devices come with a locked bootloader mode which prevents users from installing any third-party zip file and flashing custom ROMs but unlike other Manufacturers, Xiaomi provides full support to the developers and normal users to customize their devices. You’ll not lose warranty if you unlock the bootloader but if the device crashes/bricks due to Custom ROM the device will be serviced out of Warranty. Now follow the steps below to install Android 11-based AOSP ROM on your Redmi Note 8:
- Copy and place the Android 11 based AOSP ROM and GApps zip file on your Redmi Note 8.
- Turn off your device by pressing the power button for a few seconds.
- Now boot into recovery mode, for that hold the power button and volume up key for a few seconds.
- To create a backup, select “Backup” then choose the partitions you want to back up. Then slide your finger on “Swipe to Back Up” to start the backup process.
- Now from the main screen, go to Wipe.
- And select Wipe Cache + Wipe Dalvik / ART cache + Wipe Data + (Wipe System (not required) and then slide your finger on “Swipe to wipe”.
- Now select the Install option from the main screen.
- Choose the Android 11 based AOSP ROM zip file and swipe to confirm flash.
- Similarly, follow steps 7 and 8 to flash GApps.
- Once the flash is completed, wipe the cache.
- Now reboot in the system and you are done.
Now you have Android 11-based AOSP ROM up and running on your Redmi Note 8. Though the ROM is working just fine. With all basic hardware features that you need to use every day are working just fine. Still has a lot of bugs and is a less secure build so it is highly recommended, not to flash this ROM on your daily driver. It is all because of Project Treble which was launched alongside Android 8.0 (Oreo) that has made Android so much modularized and has allowed developers to make ROMs closer to Generic System Images (GSIs). All thanks to Project Treble that we are to boot our devices into the latest Android version within a few days of its release.
Now, all we have to do is wait for other developers to release their build of Android 11 based ROMs in the future.