Android Oreo 8.0 is the latest version of Google’s mobile operating system and launched last month by Google. Although it has many interesting features like image in image mode, lockscreen shortcuts and application alerts, most of them were already available on Android Custom ROMs.
But the truly unique feature that comes with Android Oreo is the adaptive icons. Adaptive icons is a new option introduced to the latest version of Android that automatically converts the default icon created by an app developer to match the other icons on your device.
For example, some OEMs like Samsung include circular icons on their devices, while some of them have square-shaped icons. But Android Oreo automatically turns these different shapes to give all application icons the same shape using the adaptive icon features.
ALSO READ : DOWNLOAD IPHONE X AND IPHONE 8 STOCK WALLPAPERS
In this way, all the icons in your app drawer will have a consistent look with the same shape, size and background. Users could also switch between shapes to choose what they prefer if their phone manufacturer supports it.
Currently, Google Nexus and Pixel devices are the only ones to officially update Android Oreo. But with the help of the latest update from Nova Launcher, a popular Android starter, you can now experience the new Android iconic adaptive function on almost any device.
Follow the steps below to apply the custom icons feature to your Android device.
- First, you have to download the latest beta update of Nova Launcher 5.5.1 from here.
- Once you have downloaded the APK file of Nova Launcher, you have to install it on your Android device.
- Once the app is installed, make it the default launcher app by clicking on the home button and then selecting always.
- Now open the Nova Launcher settings by long pressing on your home screen and then selecting Settings.
- Now select the Look and feel option and then enable adaptive icons. The adaptive icons feature will now be enable on your device and all the icons will be given a consistent look.
That’s it. Once you enable the adaptive icons option, the change will be instantly reflected on the icons on your home screen and your app drawer.