The P9 Lite is one of the best devices in its category, and worthy follower of the very good Huawei P8 Lite.Although a fresh device, I’ve already received enough Mail with users who ask me how Root can make Huawei’s cell phone, and because the process is a bit complicated, I decided to write a short guide to help everyone who wants to they do.
What we will need:
- A Huawei P9 Lite with an unlocked bootloader (if you have not unlocked it, follow instructions)
- Apply unlocking to zip
- The TWRP image for P9 Lite,
- The latest version of the SuperSU.
- A Windows computer and the necessary Drivers
- A MicroUSB cable.
The first and the main step for the final goal is unlocking the Bootloader. Before continuing, I must emphasize two very important details that you need to look out for.
A) Although unlocking the Bootloader, as you will see, is a process that Huawei officially supports, your move cancels the device’s warranty.
In short, if you go to the Service for any reason, with the Bootloader unlocked, you will be out of warranty and you will be required to pay for any repairs that the mobile will need, even if the damage is irrelevant to the Bootloader.
B) During the unlock process, the device will perform Full Wipe on the internal memory . In simple words, it will erase everything! So backfill Backup before doing anything.
After we’ve taken the absolutely necessary warnings from the middle, go to the roast.
- Visit the official Huawei page to unlock
- On the Accounts Creation page, select Enable by Email, since mobile identification does not work in our country.
- Fill in the form to receive the unlock code in the Email that you stated when you signed up. Although the Site says it may take days, after two minutes you will receive the code in your Email. Mark it somewhere.
- Download this zip file for unlock files, and unzip it to your computer (desktop to find it easily)
- Open the folder and run the maf32.exe file
- In Huawei P9 Lite, enable developer options , and click on USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
- Connect your mobile phone to your computer via the USB cable.
- Back to the command prompt that opened when you ran maf32.exe, write
- Somewhere here look at your device, which will ask you for a login confirmation if it has not already done so. Accept it.
adb reboot bootloader
With this command your mobile will restart and will enter the Bootloader
- And finally write:
fastboot oem unlock xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Where xxxx you enter the unlock code you received from Huawei.
Now the bootloader will unlock and will always be erased from your device, restoring it to its factory condition. Finally with the first step, go to next.
The second step is to install a Custom Recovery, which in our case will be the TWRP.
- Open your mobile, and re-enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Download the TWRP img for Huawei P9 Lite
- Unzip the file you downloaded to Desktop and open the created folder.
- Connect your USB device to your computer. Connection confirmation will reappear on your mobile screen. Select ok, and continue.
- Run maf32.exe from the TWRP folder and reissue the command
adb reboot bootloader
to get into the device’s bootloader.
- Now write
fastboot flash recovery recovery_twrp.img
This will install TWRP Recovery on your Huawei P9 Lite.
If for any reason you want to return to Stock Recovery at some point, you can do the steps again, only in the last command you need to write
fastboot flash recovery recovery_stock.img
Finally, that too. Let’s go for the last sprit. Do not close the command line, we will need it immediately afterwards
Root on Huawei P9 Lite
- In the folder you decompressed before and had the files of Recovery you will also find a Root-SuperSU-v2.65.zip. Copy it to your device.
- At the command prompt, type
adb reboot recovery
Your mobile will reboot and will enter TWRP Recovery.
- From TWRP select Install -> Choose Zip -> and find Root-SuperSU-v2.65.zip. Install it
Congratulations! You now have a Huawei P9 Lite with root privileges to do what you love!