How to unlock the bootloader of any Nokia device: Nokia was one of the most popular smartphone brands, but when smartphones were coming out with Android, Nokia decided to stick with Windows phone. That’s why Nokia is a little far behind its other competitors. But now, Nokia has shifted to Android, and they are doing pretty great so far. With devices ranging from budget, mid-rangers, and flagships. Even though the kernel source code of the Nokia devices is public, the developers never really used it as there was no way to unlock the bootloader on Nokia devices until last year. Last year Nokia enabled unlocking bootloader on the Nokia 8.
Unlocking the Bootloader is essential if you want to flash custom ROMs or root your device. A bootloader is software that permits the phone to only boot into the operating system currently on the device. But before you can unlock the bootloader on your Nokia device, you need to get the unlock key. But before getting started, here are some prerequisites:
- You may lose some data during the process, so keep a complete backup of your device.
- Download and install the ADB and Fastboot tool on your PC
- Make sure your device is at least 80% charged.
- Download and install the Nokia device USB driver on your PC.
- Enable Developer Options on your device by going into system settings and tapping the build number 7 times.
- Enable USB Debugging by going into System Settings -> Developer Options -> Toggle On USB Debugging.
How to unlock the bootloader of any Nokia device
After you have checked all the prerequisites. Now you have to get the unlock code for your Nokia device, for that follow the steps below:
- Go to Nokia’s Bootloader Unlock Website.
- Sign Up or log in on the Website.
- To validate your device, you will receive the Nokia Bootloader Unlock app.
- Install the app on your Nokia device.
- Fill in the information to generate a code.
- Submit the code on Nokia’s Website.
- Now check your email for an Unlock key.
- Download the unlock key and rename it as unlock.key
- Move this file to the ADB and Fastboot folder on your PC.
Now that you have done that, it’s time to unlock the bootloader on your Nokia Device. Follow the steps below to Unlock the Bootloader:
- Go to the ADB and Fastboot Folder.
- Press and hold the shift key on the keyboard and right-click in the folder, and select “Open command window here”.
- Now turn off your device. Press and hold the volume down key, and while holding, connect your phone to the PC via USB cable.
- Now inside the Command Prompt, enter the following command: fastboot flash unlock unlock.key
- Then to unlock the bootloader, type the following command: fastbootoem unlock
- Now your device will reboot with an unlocked bootloader.
You have successfully unlocked the bootloader on your Nokia device. Now you can root your device or flash a custom ROM without any hassle.