How to unlock the bootloader of any Sony device: When it comes to customizing your device, rooting is the most preferred option. You can flash custom ROMs and customize your device as you’d like after rooting. But it’s not that easy to root your device, and before rooting, you need to make sure some things are in order. You need to have an unlocked bootloader on your device before you can start making any modification to the file system.
A bootloader is software that permits the phone to only boot into the operating system currently on the device. Most manufacturers keep the bootloader locked to prevent the user from making any changes to the file system. A locked bootloader also prevents the user from flashing any unsigned firmware/software to the device. So in order to root your device, flash custom ROMs, or make any modification, you need to have an unlocked bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader has always been a little different on Sony devices and most users find it difficult as the process includes a few different steps. So in this guide, we will show you how to unlock the bootloader on any Sony device. But before starting with the process, here are some prerequisites:
- Your device will factory reset during the process, so keep a complete backup of your device.
- Download and install ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC
- Make sure your device is at least 80% charged.
- Download and install the Sony device USB driver on your PC.
- Enable Developer Options on your device by going into system settings and tapping the build number 7 times.
- Enable USB Debugging by going into System Settings -> Developer Options -> Toggle On USB Debugging.
- Note down the IMEI/IDID/MEID number of your device.
After you have checked all the prerequisites, you are all set to start the process. Now follow the steps below to unlock the bootloader on your Sony device:
How to unlock the bootloader of any Sony device
- Power off your Sony device.
- Press and hold the volume up key and connect your device to your PC via USB to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Now go to Sony’s unlock bootloader page and select your device from the drop-down menu.
- Now Enter the IMEI/IDID/MEID number of your device and press continue.
- Now you will see an unlock code on the screen, or it will ask you to enter your E-mail ID, so check your E-mail for the Unlock Code.
- Go to the ADB folder and open a terminal window by right-clicking in a space and selecting Open PowerShell window here.
- Now to check if your device is connected, type the following command: fastboot devices
- Now to unlock the bootloader type the following command: fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xYourUnlockCode
- Instead of YourUnlockCode, enter the unlock code you received after entering the IMEI/IDID/MEID number.
- And you are done.
Now your device will reboot with an unlocked bootloader. After this, you can root your device and flash custom ROMs to customize your device as you like.