It’s that time of the year again when Apple comes out with a lot of new announcements for its devices, especially in the software department. The WWDC 2020 is still rocking the stage without in-person attendance. At the WWDC 2020, Day 1 (22nd June) Apple Showcased a lot of things like the switch from Intel-based macs to the Apple Silicon, MacOS Big Sur, spatial audio for the Airpods Pro and the iOS 14. While some of us out there are like Apple copied stuff in iOS 14 from Android but the thing is they copied the good stuff and that’s good for us, the consumers. iOS 14 will change the way we used our iPhone in the past. iOS 14 is a major jump in the UI department and privacy. Apple will soon be releasing a public beta but as of right now Developer beta version is available but its buggy so I won’t recommend installing that and I’d say wait for the Public Beta.
iOS 14 features
Here a list of some of the new features that we’ll get with iOS 14:
- WIDGETS: Yes you heard it right, Apple finally got widgets which we are used to on android for so long now but as they say better late than never. So you can add widgets on your home screen now but you can’t resize them, typical Apple restrictions. But you can use the smart stack, it’s a single widget with a lot of widgets inside you just have to swipe up or down to access whichever you want.
- PICTURE IN PICTURE MODE: Just like the iPad, now iPhone also has the picture in picture mode which makes multitasking so much better on the iPhone.
- APP LIBRARY: It’s the perfect solution to clean up your home screen. You can put the apps you use the least or don’t want on your home screen in the App Library. Just swipe left at the last home screen and you’ll be able to access the App Library.
- AUTOMATIC SWITCHING: Now you don’t have to manually connect your Airpods to your other Apple Devices it will automatically switch from one device to the other.
- MINOR UPDATE:
- Siri has a new UI that doesn’t take up the whole screen.
- Calls from iPhone, Facetime, and other apps won’t take the whole screen now, Apple calls it Compact Calls.
- New Memoji styles and stickers.
- Recording indicator, its an orange light that comes up at the top right corner of your iPhone which indicate that an app is using your microphone or camera.
iOS 14 Device List
Apple is known for providing software support for a really long period and they have done the same with the iOS 14. The iOS 14 will be available for the iPhone 6s which is an almost 5-year-old device. Here’s a list of all the compatible iPhone which will get the iOS 14 update:
- The iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- The iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- The iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- The iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- The iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- The iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- The iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st generation)
- The iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPod touch (7th generation)